Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sandra Beasley in Hickory NC, Poetry Alive


Sandra Beasley spun out some of her poetry Tuesday night and wove it through an enchanted group of fellow poets who sat intrigued at Taste Full Beans Coffeehouse in Hickory.  She showed us another look at ourselves, from a view we don’t believe if we ever even see it, while she kept sprinkling oogley-googley all over us.  Scary stuff for a guy like me.   “But it’s our first date”  she said, “Huh?” I replied, but then she kept on climbing out and all I got were references to Greek platypuses who play fugues on the piano about nailed troubadours – or trapdoors – I’m not sure which.  

Well, this probably began way back when I was still asleep, earlier in the afternoon.  When I woke up, Sandra was explaining "sestinas" to us and I thought she was joking.  She was really good.  She kept a straight face and I started chuckling.  Some of the others looked at me and held their fingers to their lips.

OK - enough of that.  Sandra Beasley is a resident of Washington, D.C., down here working for a while at LRU.  If you ever get a chance to see her and listen to her, then that will be your Lucky Day.  Meanwhile, she has been kind enough to put some of her poems in books, and you can view them by clicking one of the URLs below.   





P.S. I've just started on my first sestina.  It will be about Sandra Beasley.

No comments: