Thursday, March 05, 2009

Heart of the Sun

To the Millholland Planetarium tonight to see a story about the sun.
Lots of good shots, good explanations by a member of the Catawba Valley Astronomy Association. Some instruction about sunspots, impressive auroral displays and almost too much gee-whiz information.

Also some outstanding views of the night sky, especially the DARK night sky over Hickory (which is never seen because it is never DARK over Hickory - but if it were, this is what it would look like) and that was amazing.

Then a little intro of a laser show coming up tomorrow afternoon.

All this after a little social with beer or wine and some nice crunchies. And of course, the displays were all available to wander around and view: the Mars Lander, lots of information about Mars in particular, lots more about astronomy, and the nature displays were open as were the light displays. Very enjoyable evening.

2 comments:

Evening Light Writer said...

I took astronomy in college. While I didn't enjoy all the math and theory involved, the photographs really moved me. Here I was looking at a photo of the earth, of the sun, of planets and I realized how incredibly small and insignificant I was. We are just a mere speck in the great waltz of time. Sounds like a lovely evening to me!

fauxtaographer said...

It is amazing. All the more so because we successfully pretend it really isn't there. I had to expand on this issue with the follow-on posting.