Friday, March 12, 2010

Footcandle Film Society. "An Education"

Took in “An Education” last night at the Footcandle Film Society last night. I thought the movie was fine, and that's coming from a person who really doesn’t care for movies. A LOT of the photography was excellent, with beautiful shading of color values rising out of blackness, sharp close-up images revealing the smoothness of finely arranged skin tones next to a vibrant golden red siennaistic waterfall of hair, then on the same frame, but fading into a more abstract perspective with a mottled arrangement of old brick with its red, brown, grayness,and between that and the dark green of old trees you could see a fresh flash of flowers rising out of the darkness. And that’s just one of many pictures I took away from the show. Other abstract patterns of light and color devoid of name and form flickered across the reflections of polished cars and windows, and often from those windows would come the face of a girl looking out through that window even as a new awareness of "womanness" also peered out of her own girlish countenance. The only part badly done, from my viewpoint, was the Paris bit which was overexposed. That led me to expect an ephipany to leap from the screen like the dog-race did, but no.

Again, from my viewpoint, and without revealing the story, there was a LOT of suspension of belief required on the part of the audience. The writer filled all that in very ably, and glibly too I thought, and it wound up OK I guess. I thought it dragged for about ten minutes at about the one-hour point, but that was where it was changing cadence. Either that or I began missing some of the subtle points. So should you go see it or not? Hmmmmmmm. Well, yeah. Why not? You'll enjoy it.

No comments: