Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Damnation.

My new chapbook has been rated. It now carries a rating of “D”. That’s for “Disturbing”. It is, I have been told, “unacceptable in Hickory”. I kind of missed all that when I was putting it together, but nonetheless, I guess I have joined the ranks of Allen Ginsberg and Norman Mailer. Of course that’s only for those who haven’t read Ginsberg or Mailer, and it is only for a part of Hickory.

I had left the book for a week with an establishment that sells chapbooks from time to time. They said they needed to review it before making a decision. I was gone for a week and when I returned, I went back to them and asked if they wanted to carry it. That’s when I found out it had been rated. “It is unacceptable.” I was told.

“Hmmmm.” I said. “Could you let me know - ah - why?”

“It’s disturbing.” They said.

“Oh.” I said. (I was prepared for them not to want to carry it, but not for THIS!)

They went on, at my insistence, to explain that it was “over the top”, and would be too “controversial” for Hickory.

At least they did return the book to me. I donated it to the Burke County Library.

So, “D” stands for many things besides Disturbing. Among them are Dark, Dismal, Destructive, Depressing, Deadly, Dissolute, Dastardly, Dungeonesque? Differently Dramatic, Distinctive Developmentaly Delightful Discovery? Oh well - never mind. What is done is done.

I guess that’s what I get for doing my first “Publish on Demand” book. And since demand is way down in America now, I have pointed out to several people already that I will also Publish on Request, even Publish on a Slight Show of Interest. Just get my attention. Won't be easy now that I am downcast and depressed.

1 comment:

DeadMule said...

Dumb. I just sent you an e-mail ordering a copy. Helen Losse